Monday, October 22, 2007

Group Experience

I feel there are many ways my experience from working with our groups can be applied to our class project in Design Rebels. Chemistry is one of the most important things I've learned recently within our class, getting along with people and knowing you can count on them to do their part and do quality work. I don't want to point out names, but I know there are specific individuals within the different groups who really didn't pull their weight, we didn't have that problem in the Russian Constructivism group, we all got along really well and got a lot done, i was really proud of what we accomplished. We did work our asses off making the props and everything though, it wasn't a walk in the park. I do believe we have a great group of individuals in our class, most of them at least, who can really accomplish some great things together. My ideas were to split into a group with Carmen, Cherry, Sean Berg, Vineet, Kit, just to name a few, I know all of them pretty well, we get along great, and we all do good work together, and thats important when you're working on a project such as this. One of my ideas was to get Sean and Cherry to do some screenprinted shirts, for whatever proposal we take, make some shirts with cool designs, and sell them to fund raise; its an easy way to get your name out there, plus raising money for the cause is always good. Richmond seems to have that artsy style when it comes to clothing anyways, so screenprinted shirts will probably go a long way, and if successful, they're easy to reproduce. There are other objects we can create to spread word of this upcoming "organization", everyone in our class has different specialties, i'm photo, kit is sculpture, and basically everyone else is a graphic design, but some are better than others, but either way, we can all through our skills into a hat and should be able to come up with some effective work.

Seperate from just artwork, I feel that people skills and leadership are some of the most important things I learned that we can apply to this upcoming project we have awaiting us. I believe I'm a good leader, I know what needs to get done, good at splitting up the work, even taking a good load of it myself, I'm also a perfectionist so i know the final product will be top-notch if it goes through me, otherwise it'll drive me crazy. I think attention to detail is really important completely a successful product. My goal is to try to take a management type of position within this project because I'm good at what i do, that usually means conducting the work. I'm also really competitive and don't have a problem with taking people down, putting them in their place. I dont want to sound like an asshole, but sometimes it has to be done, especially if people don't pull their own weight as they should. I know looking through the group presentations, there were people to took a backseat and didn't do much of anything, that doesn't fly with me, i'll jump on your ass until you move your feet. Okay, maybe that does make me sound like an asshole, but the point is, if you aren't doing your job, you'll hear about it from me, and i think thats what makes a good leader, even in sporting events, everyone has to do their part, and as a whole thats how you're successful, when everyone comes together and completes their desired goal.

No comments: