Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Website Concepts

I came up with a concept for the website that I think will be successful. Because the demographic we're dealing with is young teens, I think the website needs to be animated, colorful and very interactive. I've found some different methods of navigations through a plugin website that I think will work well, but the real idea i had was to push the website as a series of short stories, rather than actual articles. Dealing with teens, I dont think they want to be force fed information and facts, its too much like reading and school, my plan is to have a set main character, Chomp, and have him interact with different characters and have the kids learn things through the events they encounter. The idea for the character was those walking teeth that you wind up, seems like an easily identifiable object, plus relates to the name of the magazine. Its hard to describe the navigation, so I'll leave that out. For the site, I also think the logo should randomly change. I know theres some javascript we can write that will make the logo change, randomly everytime the page is loaded, which I think could make the site more effective because its constantly changing. If everything was concrete and the same, I dont believe it will be as appealing to kids.

I think this is important because the site is the most important part of our project. We do have good designers working on it, but for it to be as successful as we're hoping, it really doesn't need to be informational, interactive, and hold kids attention for longer than 2 seconds. I feel these are solutions that can help make our site as good as possible. I also feel, as one of the main designers for it, the rest of the group should follow my lead in supporting this idea. By writing their "articles" in the form of short stories, it makes it interactive, I can also take photos that reinforce this concept which takes the bore out of reading, we can arrange them in short lines of text with images, making it read more visually.

Now what to do is just run it by the group, get approval, and start working on the website. The best way to do this is convince them how its best for our target age group. Besides that, I think me and john are already on the same page with this site, we just need to talk to Berg and go from there. I don't think we're going to have any problems with this though, we all work together very well and with my past experience with them, we work out problems well. I really don't know what else to add about what comes next, we have the plans, today is the approval of the logo, then its basically jumping straight into the design. With the time we have left, we really dont have time to sit and relax. I had planned on meeting up with John and Berg last night, but we had problems with scheduling, so we can work on that later on today I guess, I dont have class until 7, after Design Rebels, so we may be able to fit in a meeting there.


No comments: