Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Wrapping Up The Semester

So I just wanted to write a quick few words to wrap up the end of this project, or so we think. I feel over the course of the semester we learned a lot of useful information, whether about how to successfully work in a big group geared towards one goal, or just different issues within the world that we discussed through assigned readings. Design Rebels was an important class for me this semester. I got a lot out of the going ons in the world, and how we can take action towards these issues to benefit humanity. Chomp Magazine was an attempt to approach children with these issues at an early age, so they can be more informed than we've been going into this course. The more you know, the better you can take action, and the early you start, the better. I think Chomp Mag was a success to an extent, I feel we may have set the bar really high for the amount of time we had to complete it, especially for a website of that magnitude. We thought we had a lot of content, but what it boiled down to, was we didn't get a lot of the stuff in time, we didn't follow the schedule as closely as we should have, which means in the end, everything was rushed. The class presentations were good, actually going to a school and speaking with the children was a great way to reach them. I was only there for two, but the first one went extremely well, we had at least 5 people speaking, which helped a lot. The second one i was at didn't go as well, but I'm almost positive the last one was the best, we finally got the projector to work, so i was told, so that shouldn't added a big visual element to the presentation. Not to mention we had bigger numbers again for speakers.

I'm not sure whats next for Chomp, I really don't know how we can measure the amount of success we had, or how to go about continuing this project, as if i have time to do so anyways. It would be nice, but we'd really have to change the format of the website I feel, so we can update it easier, but how do you do that and still make it interactive? It almost seems like we'd need full-time flash animators to even try to attempt it. Using an ordinary website just wouldn't capture children's attention like flash movies can. I feel the next step could be talking to more schools? If we did so, we'd definitely have to have more preparation for them, have an actual planned discussion, so we're not winging everything. I think the game was a really good idea as well, and also throwing in visual elements to tie into some facts that we can list off for the children. Show images of forests being cut down, strip mining, all that stuff, just images that show how much damage our commerce and growth is hurting our planet. I wouldn't mind helping out doing so in the future, but it'd have to be with the right people, I'd want Sean Berg and Carman to be involved as well, otherwise I don't think the original chemistry would be there. Anyways, this is me closing off the discussion of Chomp Magazine, we'll see how it goes in the future, I hope its not the end, but I know we're all busy. I have to graduate. But I do think the end idea with Chomp was a great idea, kids are the future and we're discussing issues that are not going away anytime soon, they need to be informed about these issues, so they can address them in the future, just as we've attempted to do so.

No comments: